Saturday 3 March 2007

POETRY - PHILOSOPHY


Dionysus Now

As midsummer nears and the searing heat daily increases,
Amidst the sound of the pounding surf, I hear the crescendo rising,
With the calls of increasing bravado, animal male cries and female screams,
The steady increasing tempo, of animal magnetism in bacchanal revelry.
As I lie here packed, ready and waiting for my departure day to arise,
I wonder on the significance of Greek culture, ancient and otherwise.
Of my experiences here in Cyprus, of how they relate and what is really happening,
On what is truly the character, of the Greek or Cypriot of yesteryear and now.
As I hear and feel, the great mother soft caressing, male Greek voice enticingly ask,
The questions of life in mystical rhythm, harmonizing with the perennial surf,
Amidst the whistles and groans, accompanying the gyrating echoes of ecstatic union

No comments: